Sunday 8 November 2015

Solo Europe Trip Day 10 and 11 - Santorini : Oia -> Fira

Day 10 :

 Good morning! Regine wasn't at home when I leave the house so I left the gift and her house key on the table for her.
Ready to head to the airport!

Going to only one place so bought a single ticket instead of the usual one day ticket.


Took the tube from Kensal Green to Victoria station.

And bought the railway ticket to Gatwick airport.

Knowing that the train is coming soon so I have to grab a quick breakfast to enjoy it on the train.

The railway tickets to Gatwick airport cost £19.90 ( $42 ).

Arrived at Gatwick airport but I'm heading to the North terminal so some more walking for me.

Everything here is about money. Even using the weighing machines for your luggage need to pay for it! Most of the countries are free.

Went to the counter but they say have to use the bag drop service by ourselves so I went down and saw a long queue there!
 
Have to say Gatwick airport is a airport that is worse then any other airport. I took Easyjet and they do not have a check in counter, so they will keep sending email telling you to check in online. I also have to do the bag drop myself but there is still super long queue even though they have like 20 bag drop machines there!

 There is a few times when all the machines break down! Yes! I meant ALL! We got no other choice but to wait till the machines got fixed. When it's almost my turn, the machines that I queue for breaks down completely! Even the staff cannot fix it. How lucky I'm! I was 2.5 hrs earlier to the airport but when I got to my gate it's almost time to board the plane so you can imagine how long have I queue for the stupid self bag drop service!

Because of the very strict baggage policy Easyjet have, they only allow 1 baggage on the plane which includes the smallest handbags. So at the gate, I saw a lot of people straggle to pack their handbags into their luggage. Lucky I have check on their websites before so I have already squeeze my handbag in. But of course they can pay for that extra handbags but apparently nobody wants to cause it don't sound logical at all.


 It's the salt and vinegar chips tasting time! I normally don't buy food from the plane but I'm left with some pound so I decided to get some chips to kill time.

Anyway I arrive Santorini at around 8.30pm local time due to the 2 hrs time different between London and Greece.


  Got out the airport and my driver is already there waiting for me with my name on it.

 The driver drop me at Oia bus station because I'm not staying at the hotel so they have no idea where to drop me. Haha. The driver is very nice to help me to call my airbnb host, Rena, that I'm at the bus station and straight she send her porter over to fetch me and help me with my luggage.

I got a buddy accompanying me while waiting.



 This tradition cave house is so cute! I really wanted to stay in their traditional house so I spend quite sometime to look for it and here in staying in one of them!



 The kitchen area. They have everything there for me to cook and also a coffee machine!

Rena gave a bottle of wine too but too bad I don't drink! Haha!

 The bedroom area.


The open concept bathing area. 

The toilet in a cave.

 Settle down and time for dinner! It's too late already so I decided to cook my first maggi mee out of my 5 packs that I brought for dinner. Had my dinner outside watching the stars glaze above me and the sea breeze! Oh ya and not forgetting talking to a lovely Germany couple who stay next door. They are planning to stay there to enjoy the place for a week! How nice! 

Check this beautiful cave house out :



Day 11 : 

Good morning Santorini! Yup this is the view that I'm looking at once I wake up!




I can totally spend whole day sitting here enjoy the view right in front of me if I have the time!

Cat chilling at the roof top of someone's house.


One of the helper of Rena actually brought a cake for me as my breakfast! So nice of them! But most probably I will not be able to finish it cause it's too big and I'm the only one eating.

Had my daily coffee fix with a beautiful view.

 Had my selfie moment at my door steps and I'm ready to go! 

That's my apartment on the right and the view in front of the apartment!




 Coming to Santorini is one of my travel bucket list and I'm glad I actually make it to this beautiful place! 



Every angle, any sides, this place just look so beautiful!




  
 Using my memory, I walk back to the bus station and wait for the public bus to Fira. The bus tickets is €1.80 ( SG$2.90 ) and we will just pay when we are on the bus. Bus was so crowded that I have to stand till my destination.

 Another way to travel around Santorini would be renting the ATV! Looks cool! If I were to go Santorini, I would like to rent the ATV to travel around too!



 When I reach Fira, pass by a optical shop and I went in to get myself a contacts solution cause my is running out and for sure will not last till the last day of my trip. I also ask the lady boss for some recommendation for lunch and she wrote me 2 restaurant name and straight I go to look for the restaurant!


Sat down by the side to enjoy the music before I continue walking. 


 I guess Big Bang is famous in Santorini too? Haha!

 Didn't expect to see such a high end brand can be found at Santorini too!

They have shopping center too but it doesn't look like the usual big shopping mall we go in Singapore. But they do sell international brands like DKNY, Clinique, Estée Lauder, Mac and even Tom Ford. Didn't intend to get anything from either brand so didn't walk in, therefore not very sure a about the pricing.


Continue to walk and pass by a back ally with many dogs chilling there! Guess which dog prefer sun tanning? Haha!


 Only manage to find one of the restaurant that was recommended by the optical shop's boss which is Ampelos, so I decided to just to have my lunch here.

Operating Hours : 11am to 12am
Website : http://www.ampelos.com.gr/

 What a awesome view for lunch!



 I would definitely love stare at the view as long as I can!


 Had their traditional kebab with potato and pitas. The taste was not bad! I thought that the kebab will be very dry by just looking at it but to my surprise it's not!



 Watching people walking around while enjoying my kebab!

After kebab, time for some ice cream! 
When will be the next time I will have lunch with such a great view?


Had a great lunch and the walking continues.

And of course selfie moments continues too! Haha!

There is 3 ways to get down to the port,
  1.  by walking bout 600 steps,
  2. by cable car which is about 5 mins ride,
  3.  lastly, by the donkey taxi.



 I have decided to ride the donkey taxi down to try. I know a lot of people might disagree with me to take the donkey taxi cause it seems to be very cruel but the donkey are much better then those horse carriages I saw in Thailand which their eyes are cover up and yet they have to run on the road carrying people. Of course if I'm to come Santorini again, I will not take the donkey taxi again as I've experienced it before already. ( Travel is all about experience, you need to experience at least once for things that you don't get to do back home... )
Not to say that I'm right on this, but if you don't agree with me, you can use the other two ways to get to the port too.
Anyway, dokey taxi is 5€ ( SG$8 ) per trip.

 


This Chinese lady infront of me was screaming all her way down as she thought that she is going to fall anytime. Her son knows that it will be difficult for her to walk down the 600 steps, so he ask her to take the donkey taxi down but I guess It's even more scarier for her. Haha!

 


 Few stalls along the way from the donkey station to the port.

Ta da! Here I'm at the sea port of Fira!



People can choose to do the cruise tour from this port.



 The water is so clear!





Spend quite sometime admiring the beautiful sea, time to head back up. Going back up is still the same 3 ways but this time round I'm not going to take the donkey taxi up as I've mention, I've experienced it once already. I wanna try another way since there is 3 ways.

Oh ya, people can choose to take at speed boat from Fira to Oia for 15€ ( SG$24 ) per person. I still wanted to walk around the Fira town so I'm not going straight back to Oia any anyway it's too expensive too.

Ok, I have decided to take the cable car up!


But look at the queue for the cable cars! But not choice, I still have to queue...
 
While queuing, saw this old couple enjoy sun bathing by the sea port. 

Finally I'm closer to the cable car counter since I manage to reach the level 2 of the station.
View of the port from a higher level.

This is the cruise tour that I'm talking about. They can go island hopping.

Cable car up is also at 5€ ( SG$8 ) per trip.

Finally it's my turn soon! Luckily, the speed of the cable car is fast so waiting time is not as long I thought.


While on the way up in the cable car.

Back to Fira town and time to sweet through the crowd!



Since she I'm in Greece how can I not try the Greek yogurt right?

2£ ( SG$ 3.20 ) per 100g. 

It's all self service, so first of all, get the amount of yoghurt I want and then choose the topping.

Done! Brought to the weighing machine at the cashier counter and pay. Easy! Total for my yoghurt is 3.10£ ( SG$5 ), and it's still cheaper than llao llao!

Yummy! Greek yogurt is nicer then I thought. Slightly more sour which I prefer too.


Using 1.80£ ( SG$2.90 ) To take the bus back to Oia.


Walking back to the Oia town and the evening view that welcome me back is awesome! 



There is also wedding shooting shop here for couples that is here to do wedding photo.

No filter require for photo taken in Santorini for sure! Look at the beautiful sky!

Wow... They have MCM there too! 

Sun is setting soon... 

Sky become pinkish when the sun is slow going down!




Oia is famous for its sunset so there is many people sitting by to wait for the sunset.



That's the famous 3 blue dome that represent Santorini! When ever you google about Santorini, the most popular picture will be this 3 blue dome. Oh ya I'm actually staying below the famous blue dome.
Anyway sun is really setting very soon, I need to rush to the very end of this town to watch the famous Oia sunset!


Many people are already here at the spot to watch the sun set.

I have watch a lot of sun set but it's my first time to see the sun directly drops into the sea! Normally the sun will set and hide behind the cloud. 





So the sun falls into the sea in a few minutes and everybody were there clapping to appreciate the beauty!
 
 


Night falls and here come my last night in Santorini... 

Last dinner in Santorini! Choose Thalami and choose the outdoor seats instead of the indoor just to enjoy the sea even for just 1 or 2 hour more.

Operating Hours : 12pm to 12am
Website : http://www.thalami-oia.com/

Wanted to try seafood since I'm at the sea area so I assume their seafood will be very fresh too.


 Fried cheese ball, not bad.

Free performance? Actually you can pay him to stand beside your table to play the music just for you ( of course not only you... people beside you can listen for free without paying too ).

The octopus is fresh but maybe I ordered the BBQ one so it seems to be a bit dry but overall it still taste quite good.

 Doggy chilling outside the restaurant.

 Walking back home and also enjoy my last night walking in Oia town.

Happen to saw this painting and it reminded me that I did a painting of Santorini too which is hung on my wall. Everyday I see my painting, I tell myself I must make it to this place to see the place in real life and not just painting. I'm glad I made it! Although I'm alone, not as romantic as what people will think, I will never forget this place! I'm proud that I made it here alone and will definitely miss this place a lot! 

Back home to pack my luggage and ready for the next destination!

No comments:

Post a Comment